Written by: Ankur Shah
We use so many products on a daily basis, many a times, with no idea about what is there in it – and while there is a genuine fear related to chemicals, there are certain products that are actually quite beneficial. For instance, Zinc Oxide has skin care benefits that you would not even have thought about and it is present in a lot more products than you would have imagined.
Zinc compounds have been used since centuries as body paints as well as in medicinal ointments. There are mentions of usage of Zinc Oxide to treat open wounds and to soothe the eyes in the ancient Indian medical treatise, Charaka Samhita and Rasashastra. There are also mentions of Zinc Oxide in The Canon of Medicine (dated 1025 AD) and in books written by the Greek physician Dioscorides, wherein it says that this compound could be used to treat various types of skin conditions.
Here are just some of the places where Zinc Oxide is used in dermal care:
· Cosmetics and skin care products such as – anti dandruff shampoos, baby powders, diaper rash creams and sunscreens are the most common applications.
· Other dermal care applications include medical products such as ointments to treat conditions like dermatitis, acne and itching, barrier creams and first aid tapes.
Now, here is why there is so much usage of Zinc Oxide for dermal care products:
· Zinc Oxide provides the safest and most effective protection against UV rays and is approved by FDA for up to 25% inclusion. Zinc is less irritating to skin than chemical sunscreens. Unlike chemical sunscreens, Zinc Oxide is a broad spectrum UVA and UVB reflector of sun’s rays rather than absorbing them and acts as a physical block to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation, helping to reduce or prevent sunburn and premature aging of the skin. Preventing sunburn is an important factor in reducing skin cancer risk.
· It is used in a wide range of cosmetics and personal care products including makeup, baby lotions, bath soaps and foot powders. It is used as a bulking agent and a skin-protectant to treat a variety of skin conditions in OTC products such as calamine cream and antiseptic ointments, including in concentrations up to 40% in diaper rash ointments.
· Owing to its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties, it is used in considerable proportions in dermatology and prickly heat powders in South-East Asia, Africa and Middle East.
· Zinc Oxide is also a major ingredient in various face powders and foundation compacts because the compound can help even out skin tone.
· Zinc Oxide is also known to have astringent properties, albeit a little mild. However, it can help control the oil production of the skin and keep the skin looking oil free. It can also help with the reduction of large pores, by tightening the skin naturally.
· When combined with ingredients such as glycolic acid or salicylic acid, Zinc Oxide proves to be quite an effective method to combat acne.
Choosing the right grade:
While there are several grades of Zinc Oxide available across the globe, the most suited is the High Purity 99.9% Zinc Oxide which is made from French Process technology using Special High Grade Zinc.
As product quality, reliability, safety and traceability are important for above applications, purchasers have to ensure that the source of Zinc Oxide is qualified to produce the high purity grade and has systems to eradicate risks arising from variation in product quality.
At Rubamin, we manufacture Zinc Oxide under controlled environment with management systems (ISO 9001 & 14001) including certifications for WHO-GMP and bulk drug processing such as EP/ USP / BP / IP (Signifying testing as per European, US, British or Indian Pharmacopoeia).
We also have unique certifications for safe / quality product which include Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and FAMI-QS. Our Zinc Oxide for Dermal Care is registered under the European chemical regulation REACH and is also ‘Halal’ and ‘Kosher’ certified to cater to religious sentiments, Islamic Law requirement and stand for internationally accepted standards in production and hygiene.
Our grades for Dermal Care application comprise of the following:
Zincollied is synonymous with Zinc Oxide in India. It is the largest brand of Rubamin with prominent use in Skin Care, Pharmaceuticals & Additives industries since over two decades.
Truzox is an ultra-high purity Zinc Oxide from Rubamin that is known for its unbelievably low lead content of up to 3 ppm. Our customers in Skin Care, Nutraceutical Supplements & Pharmaceuticals trust Truzox for its superior quality.